CLIMAX AND STORY RESOLUTION
This can be approximately the last 25% of the story. It is where the reader needs to have an emotionally strong ending.
Definition of Story Climax
- The part of the story to where all the suspense, drama, rising action and tension have been leading.
- The place where the incidents and events of the story are the most dramatic.
- The story point when the protagonist (hero, main character) completes his character arc, and completes his character growth.
- The point in the story where everything changes, the problem is solved or the attempts to solve it have failed.
- The climax leads to the resolution after the conflict has been dealt with, the part of the story where all loose ends are tied up.
Genre Variations for a Story Climax
- Romance: The obstacles keeping the couple apart are finally overcome.
- Thriller: The final battle.
- Detective Story: The moment when the murderer is revealed.
- Western: When the Cavalry (Western good guy) comes riding in to save the day.
Elements of a Strong Climax
- The protagonist’s personal principle is tied to the external conflict in order to heighten the emotional and psychological levels.
- The protagonist’s choices are narrowed down, giving him two possible courses of action to test his character.
- If the protagonist takes the easy way to attain his external goal, then he sacrifices his personal principles.
- If the protagonist stays with his personal principles, he sacrifices his external goal.
- The protagonist can be forced to face who he thought he was and see who he has become.
Elements of the Resolution
- Rewarding the protagonist for making the hard choice, for self-sacrificing
- Punishing the protagonist for acting selfish
- Having an outside source rescue the protagonist, after having shown the reader that he is worthy of a happy ending
- Showing how the protagonist has changed (grown) from the beginning of the story
- Giving a satisfying end to the major storyline
- Give an adequate ending to every character in the story
© 2010 Starla Kaye